BY: SANI MAGAJI GARKO
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has withdrawn the charges filed against Kano-based blogger Maryam Isah Shehu and Abubakar Shuraim Abdulhamad, following an intervention by the commission’s Executive Chairman, Mr Ola Olukoyede.
The two young Nigerians were arraigned on Thursday, August 20, 2026, before Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court, Abuja, over alleged cybercrime and the dissemination of information which the EFCC described as malicious against the commission.
The decision to withdraw the charges was announced by the EFCC after Olukoyede considered a passionate plea and apology from Shehu’s father, as well as appeals from well-meaning Nigerians seeking leniency for the defendants.
READ ALSO: Calls Grow For EFCC To Release Kano Blogger Maryam Shehu, Human Rights Groups Urged To Intervene
According to the commission, Olukoyede “compassionately” directed that the charges against the two defendants be dropped despite the EFCC’s position that their alleged conduct constituted an offence under the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, Etc.) Act, 2015, as amended in 2024.
The EFCC said the defendants had been charged in connection with what it described as cybercafe stalking, which it said was contrary to Section 24(2)(c) of the Cybercrimes Act and punishable under Section 24(2)(c)(ii) of the same law.
However, the commission’s chairman exercised discretion to discontinue the matter after receiving the appeals for leniency.
The development effectively brings to an end the prosecution arising from the charges filed against Shehu and Abdulhamad, subject to the formal legal steps required for the withdrawal before the court.
The decision is particularly significant in the case of Shehu, whose reported detention had attracted public attention and calls from supporters and rights advocates for her release.
Earlier, Human Right Lawyer Barrister Abba Hikima had raised concerns over her continued detention and urged the EFCC either to charge her before a competent court if there was sufficient evidence of an offence or release her if there was no lawful basis for keeping her in custody.
Abba Hikima and other supporters including Barrister Nuhu Dantani had also called for intervention by relevant organisations, arguing that investigation should not become a form of punishment.
The campaign generated public interest, with supporters using the hashtag #FreeMaryamShehu while demanding her release and greater transparency over the circumstances surrounding her detention.
The EFCC’s latest decision to withdraw the charges therefore represents a major development in the matter.
In explaining its decision, however, the commission maintained that it would not tolerate what it described as wilful attacks on its image.
The anti-graft agency warned that criticism or conduct directed at damaging its reputation through any medium or platform would not be treated lightly.
Despite withdrawing the charges, the commission stressed that its decision should not be interpreted as a departure from its statutory responsibilities.
Olukoyede assured Nigerians that the EFCC would continue to operate in accordance with its mandate and in the best interest of the country.
The commission’s position suggests that while it has exercised leniency in the case following the appeals made on behalf of the defendants, it remains determined to protect the integrity and reputation of the institution.
The withdrawal also comes at a time of growing public debate over the balance between law-enforcement powers, freedom of expression and the rights of citizens facing investigation.